Where are we with the Sam Altman saga.
It was a a few whirlwind days. If you’re catching up, here’s a summary of the ongoing crisis at OpenAI:
• The company published a blog post Friday afternoon, announcing that he had fired Altman as CEO and Chairman of the Board, Greg Brockman was resigning. The board said Altman did not communicate candidly with them.
• CTO Mira Murati has been named interim CEO.
• Brockman later said “I stopped.”
• Altman and Brockman published a joint statement saying they were “shocked and saddened” by the board’s actions.
• Three high-level researchers would have resign in protest: Jakob Pachocki, Aleksander Madry and Szymon Sidor.
• Sources said Ilya Sutskever, Open AI’s chief scientist, was instrumental in Altman’s firing.
• Yesterday, sources said The edge that OpenAI was trying to get Altman back as CEO.
• Altman has conditions, including that the board members who fired him resign. The board of directors was waffle and negotiations passed a key deadline of 5 p.m. PT on Saturday.
• The edge heard there would be mass resignations if no agreement has been reached by 5 p.m. PST. No agreement was reached and negotiations continue today.
• OpenAI is “optimistic“This may get Altman back. A memo to staff last night said an update was expected this morning.